So, who would say no to relaxing all summer at their own lake house?
The long, picturesque stretches of Lake Michigan beaches and the ample lakes and wooded areas throughout West Michigan offer many options for buyers looking to purchase lakefront property, a cabin or a beachfront home.
If you are looking to purchase a lake home, cabin or lakefront property, your West Michigan real estate agent Shannon Benton can help you to find the perfect spot and avoid many of the pitfalls associated with these unique purchases.
A knowledgeable real estate agent with experience handling successful lake home transactions can help you to determine the ‘true’ cost of ownership. How much are property taxes? Is there a lake association or homeowners association and how much are their costs and fees?
The first step in narrowing your search revolves around how you will use your lake property. If you plan to fish, water ski or simply captain your pontoon party boat around the lake, then the size and quality of the lake is important to you.
Here are some other questions to consider before you begin searching:
- Are you looking for a small lake cabin or a large lake home?
- Do you want to purchase a vacant lot on a lake and build your dream lake house?
- Do you want a log home or a lake property that is low maintenance?
- What is the size of the lake? Is it small and quiet, can I use my big boat on the lake, is it a waterski lake and are there any lake restrictions?
- Is the lake frontage sandy, weedy and is there a seawall or shoreline protection?
- How is the water quality? Is the water clear, stained, full of algae?
- How is the fishing on the lake? What kinds of fish are there?
- Is a dock included? How deep is the water at the end of the dock? What is the lake bottom like in front of the property?
Lake Lots: What to Ask the Seller
For most individuals, purchasing a lake lot is not a common occurrence. Having a seasoned professional at your side can make all the difference. Shannon Benton will work with you to make sure that you find the best property on which to build your dream home.
Below are several questions you should ask the seller:
- Has the lake lot been surveyed? Are the lot corners clearly marked?
- What is the building setback line from the lake? Building setbacks vary in different states and counties. You will want to know where you can build on your lake lot.
- What is the access to the lake lot? Who maintains the road?
- Are there any protective covenants or deed restrictions on the property? What are the building requirements? Can you camp before you build your home?
- Is power available to the property or do you need to bring it in from a distance or live off the grid on a generator?
- Is there a public water and sewer system or do you need a well and septic? How deep are the wells in the area? What type of septic system is required? What does a well and septic cost in the area?
- What are the restrictions on cutting trees, clearing views, shoreline improvements or dock construction?
Thinking about buying or selling lakefront property in West Michigan? Let lake property specialist Shannon Benton help you discover all of your options. Contact Shannon here or call her directly at 616.340.2940. The first step to a beautiful new lake home is just a phone call away!